Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Germany, day zwei!

So I realize that I'm not in Germany now; I had several days with non-working internet, but I still think it would be nice to blog about each day, so this is for my second day in Germany (May 24th)!

I had a super delicious breakfast at our hotel in Dusseldorf, which consisted of 'mighty juice,' bacon (not quite crispy enough for my taste), eggs, fruit salad, and a croissant with nutella. Mmm! I also need to mention that the smoked salmon was amazing, since Amber couldn't stop raving about it! We then had to finish packing and load the bus to start our road trip to Minden, with a stop for lunch in Soest.

On the bus on the way to Soest! Myself, Amber, and Jordan.


Soest was an adorable little town that I wish we could have spent more time in. We meandered through the town, and had the chance to sing in two of the churches. After we sang a few numbers for tuning purposes, we were released for lunch on our own.

We parked right next to a beautiful park!

A still working mill that was first built in 1231.


One of the cathedrals we were able to sing in!

The church was located on a street in which a fresh foods market had unfolded, so Aubrey and I set off to find a delicious lunch for ourselves. We ended up getting three rolls (one wheat, one potato, one dessert with chocolate chips) for €1.55, a pint of strawberries and two bananas for €3.55, and a small block of munster cheese and a small block of reblochon cheese for €3.60A pretty delicious lunch for two! We couldn't find a place to sit, so we ended up going to the park which our bus was by, and it turned out to be a beautiful venue for a picnic.

Look at our scavenger skills!

Aubrey and I couldn't believe how good the strawberries were!

Some new friends wanted to join us for lunch!

What beggars! They came right up to us for a handout!

We also saw a crazy weird looking bird, which Lothar (our tour guide) called something I can't remember in German, but the English term is American Coot.

Let's just say he doesn't like ducks!

After a good and relaxing lunch, we were hauled back onto the bus for the rest of the ride to Minden, where we had a reception with more mighty juice, and then were divied up to meet our host families. I had to borrow Erin's polo so that I would have something to wear to the concert tonight. I missed my luggage so much!

Christuskirche, Minden

Mighty juice with American flair!

Look, Ma! It's us!

What a nice welcome we had!


I was happy to meet Dirk, Andrea, and Silas, my and Amber's host family (pictures to come later). They took us home and fed us a delicious supper of various breads, cheeses, and cold cut meats, and a dessert of strawberries in kavak, which is similar to yogurt, but apparently not really sold in the states and they use it to cook with all kinds of things. I don't care what it was, it was delicious!

A highlight to the night was that when we arrived back at the church before the concert we found out that our luggage had been found and sent to the church, since it was the address they had as our location for today. Hallelujah! Praise Jesus! I changed into my dress and tights and generously applied my deodorant I'd been missing so much. The concert was a bit rough, being our first time back together singing through EVERYTHING, but we finished strong and I was emotionally overwhelmed by the love feeding off of the audience. It was such a beautiful night, and I will never forget it.

Stayed tuned, folks! So many days left to report!



No comments:

Post a Comment